The tapestry showed here is from hunt of the unicorn series. “Unicorn found at the fountain”. The tapestry has rich colors, fine details of flowers, animals and foliage, tonal variation in the animal fur.
The tapestry has a mythical horse like animal the unicorn who could be captured only by virgin Christ is the unicorn and captured by Virgin Mary and that’s why he became the symbol of incarnation and romantic love.
In this tapestry the unicorn purify the water by dipping his horn in to the stream. This act resulting the capture and killing of unicorn which equate with christ’s death on the cross to save humanity.
All animals’ flowers and trees in tapestry have symbolic meanings. Like lion is a symbol of power, faith, courage and mercy. Same way trees and flowers are symbols of protective and curative powers.
So in fifteenth century the tapestries were found with subject matter of religious belief and mythological stories.
Hi Bhumi,
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to hear your voice on Voicethreads. You and I chose the same picture for this assignment. I really enjoy this tapestry.. it is so intricate!
Kimberlie
I'm amazed as well at the level of artistry and vision involved in the making of this "series". I love the idea of looking for clues to translate the hidden symbolisms used by the 15th century painters...kind of reminds me (and i'm just trying to be funny here--by no means am I even trying to trivialize the workmanship performed here!), but it reminds of "Where's Waldo?".....or "I spy!" books-looking for the hidden clues/meaning.....makes it fun while forces your eyes to really look closely at the artists' creatations. Janine
ReplyDeleteThis tapestry must be incredible to see in person. I read that it has both silver and gold threads running through it. I wonder how long it would take to make a tapestry like this. It must be something like the intricate oriental rugs still made today.
ReplyDelete